The objective of the JDS Project is to provide Philippine nationals with opportunities for obtaining master’s degree at Japanese universities in order to support human resource development policy of the Government of the Philippines, and eventually to extend and strengthen the bilateral relationship between the Philippines and Japan.
The main target groups of the JDS Project would be young government employees who are expected to engage in formulating and implementing social and economic development plans and to play leadership roles in the Philippines.
For the JDS project in the Philippines, the “Common Agenda” has been settled for each field as follows:
- Public Administration:
- Building Institutional Capacity for Better Governance
- Advancing Decentralization and Regional Development
- Ensuring Balanced and Stable Fiscal Management
- Promotion of Sound Market and Industries
- Business Administration:
- Providing Sound and Attractive Business Environment
- Information and Communication Technology:
- ICT Policy to Create Wider and Advanced Usage
- Industrial Development:
- Industrial Development Policy for Global Competitiveness
Every Applicant is expected to share his/her own view of how the knowledge acquired in Japan will be utilized to the development of the Philippines, by tackling one of the Common Agenda for the applying field of study. Therefore, it is strongly recommended to relate the Common Agenda and the research plan, as well as your current work.
Applicant’s perspective for future career plan shall be one of the important factors to be considered for the selection of JDS project.
25 scholarships will be offered to study in Japan for commencement in 2009-2010.
*This is the re-opening of Application for the field of Economics, Business Administration, and Industrial Development
* Deadline of application: January 21, 2009
Must be a citizen of the Republic of the Philippines.
Below 40 years old as of April 1, 2009.
(Those who were born on/after April 2, 1969)
Should be a civilian government employee.
- Work Experience:
Currently employed in government with permanent status and with at least 2 years work experience at the time of application.
- Performance Rating:
Has a performance rating of at least “very satisfactory” in the organization at the time of nomination.
- Academic Background:
Should have a Bachelor’s degree relevant to the target fields.
For ICT field, Applicant is required to have a bachelor’s degree in ICT or equivalent.
Has not been awarded foreign scholarship for Master’s degree.
- Responsibilities of JDS fellow:
When selected as a final successful candidate, he/she is required;
- To sign and submit the pledge to follow the conditions deemed necessary as JDS fellow. (If a fellow violates any articles of the pledge, the scholarship may be cancelled.)
- To fill out an application form of the university.
- NOT to change university and/or field of study.
- To attend the pre-departure Japanese language training in Makati City on full time basis (April to June 2009).
- To participate in briefing orientation and Japanese language training in Japan (mid July to August or September 2009).
- To contribute to socio-economic development of the Philippines with the acquired knowledge upon return to the Philippines.
- To be in good condition physically and mentally during the stay in Japan as an ODA Scholar.
*If there is a drastic change in fellow’s health condition including pregnancy before and during his/her stay in Japan, or/and if the accepting university considers his/her condition is not suitable enough in the pursuit of academic goal, scholarship is subject to cancellation, based on the decision/guidance of university and the Operating Committee of the JDS Philippines.